Pages

May 5, 2012

Wasabi Oven Home Fries

This is a quick and tasty treat I tried yesterday.  I finally got around to opening up my latest VegNews Magazine.  It didn't take long to find something easy to try.  I noticed some Wasabi Oven Fries that looked pretty good and I had a small bag of little organic yellow potatoes.  I took the warm bowl of home fries out into the yard with a glass of tea and joined my husband who was already out with the camera trying to catch some good shots of the extra large full moon.

Wasabi Oven Fries
     a recipe by Terry Hope Romero

4 cups russet potatoes, scrubbed, peeled, and sliced ½-inch thick.  (I used the small organic yellow potatoes and I didn't peel them.)
2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
2 tablespoons aonori seaweed flakes (I had some crumbled Wakame dried seaweed.)
1 tablespoon wasabi powder
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon sea salt or tamari
1 teaspoon rice vinegar

Preheat oven to 475ยบ

Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.  In a large mixing bowl toss potato slices with oil and spread in a single layer on baking sheet.  Roast for 20 minutes, then flip the fries.  Roast for another 4 to 8 minutes, or until crisp.  Transfer baked fries back into large mixing bowl.

In a small bow, combine seaweed flakes, wasabi powder, sugar, and salt.  Sprinkle the fires with the rice vinegar and tamari, if using, then with half the topping, toss the fries, then sprinkle with remaining  topping and toss again.  Serve warm, Enjoy!



These were delightful, salty, sweet, warm and easy. The Wasabi is very subtle.

I also found a great recipe in the issue for Herbed Feta Cheese made from extra firm tofu.  I've got it marinating in the fridge right now.  I'll let you know what I do with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment