Pages

July 27, 2011

Eggplant Bacon

Eggplant bacon? Or is it eggplant jerky?  You can call it either.  When it's made with the common large eggplant the strips do resemble bacon as in my previous post . I think it satisfies that sweet salty taste we like in bacon without all the nasty health risks that come with eating real bacon.



Recently I got some locally grown eggplants which are a little more the size of softballs than eggplants we see most often.
 

















I think this batch should be called Canadian bacon.


Someone asked me for the recipe the other day and I found it difficult to get to the site of my favorite eggplant bacon recipe.  It's been down a couple times so I thought I'd better get the recipe posted before I lose it.  I've got it pretty much memorized, but I do have a few recipes in my head, too easy to forget something.

I found this recipe on a site called: Raw & Simple, It's from the Every Day Raw cookbook by Matthew Kenney.  It's very simple and the "bacon" is a big hit with just about everyone who tries it.


 Eggplant Bacon
      Every Day Raw, page 58
  
Ingredients:
 

    1 large eggplant, thinly sliced
    1 tablespoon sea salt
    1/2 dried chipotle chile, soaked at least 2 hours
    1/2 cup soaking water from the chipotle peppers
    2 tablespoons maple syrup
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 tablespoons nama shoyu
    2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1/2 teaspoon cumin
    pinch black pepper
    pinch cayenne

 Directions:

To make the thin sheets of eggplant I used a mandolin or peeler. The mandolin is great at getting them sliced at an equal size, but sliced in 1/4" thick slices will work just fine too.  I tried it with a peeler, but they were just too thin for me.

Once you have sliced your eggplant, sprinkle it with the sea salt and allow to sit for 1-2 hours. 
Layer your eggplant sheets between paper or cloth tea towels and press out excess moisture.

In the mean time, blend the other ingredients in the liquid container of your Vita-Mix.

Submerge the squeezed eggplant in the marinade. I put them in a baggie and purged as much air as possible (as I would with any marinade). Marinate 30-45 minutes.

Carefully lay out the eggplant sheets onto your dehydrator trays and dehydrate until crispy (24 – 48 hours).



~~Enjoy!~~

4 comments:

  1. Hi there,
    I made a vegan version of bacon with buckwheat and red beans - absolutely delicious. One of your friends recommended I'd come over and check out your aubergine version, I have to say I do like it and am bookmarking, looks satisfying. Only problem, I will have to wait until I get a dehydrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shaheen,

    I've not tried it, but you could try making the bacon in the oven on a cookie sheet. Turn it over half way to dry it through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh that eggplant looks awesome! I can't wait to make it myself. I noticed in the ingredients maple syrup though, I'm wondering why you'd need to sweeten it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omitting the sweet is not a problem. I like the sweet/salty/smokey flavor. It's always a big hit. Even folks who don't get the 'bacon' reference like it.

    ReplyDelete