Pages

April 10, 2011

The Good Shepherd's Pie ~ Vegan


This is a recipe from one of my most favorite vegan cookbooks, Vegan World Fuisine Cuisine.  The weather is still a bit chilly for me and I felt like some warm food today.  I've been craving something with potatoes, white or sweet.  I just wanted some potatoes. I remembered the Vegan World cookbook had a great shepherd's pie recipe.  It was worth a short trip to the store today for some more potatoes.

I used a bit less tofu in the recipe, only a 10 oz package and some dried soy protein strips.  I soaked them in vegetable broth to rehydrate them and diced them.  They have a taste and texture like chicken breast strips. I also didn't have any barley malt syrup and I think it was really expensive when I did find it. I used a little barley miso mixed with a little vegetable broth instead.  I used my one ounce scoop to place the potatoes in little bite sized mounds across the pan. I also cooked mine a little longer than the recipe asked for.  I think it took about 50 minutes before I was satisfied with the texture of the potatoes and the filling.

The Good Shepherd's Pie
     Vegan World Fusion Cuisine, page 137

10-12 medium Potatoes, 1/2" cubes
1 C Coconut, rice, or soy milk
2 TB Olive oil
¾ C Onion, diced
1 TB Garlic, minced
¾ C Carrots, ½" cubes
½ C Celery, sliced Thin
½ C Red bell pepper, diced
½C Mushrooms, sliced thin
2 lbs Tofu, extra firm, crumbled
¾ C Peas, fresh or frozen
¾ C Corn, fresh or frozen
1/4 C Tahini
4 tsp Shoyu (optional)
1 TB Basil, fresh, minced (1½ tsp dry)
1 TB Italian parsley, fresh, minced
1½ tsp Sea Salt, or to taste
1 tsp Thyme, fresh minced (½ tsp dry)
1 tsp Sage, fresh minced (½ tsp dry)
2 tsp Barley malt syrup
½ tsp Black pepper, ground to taste
½ tsp Crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper, or to taste

Preheat oven to 350º

Place potatoes in a large pot with filtereed water.  Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are soft, approximately 15 minutes.  Drain well, place in a large mixing bowl with coconut milk and mash well.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Set aside.

While potatoes are cooking, place oil in a large sauté pan on medium high heat.  Add onion and garlic, cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.  Add carrots, celery, bell pepper and mushrooms, cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.  Place in large mixing bowl with remaining ingredients except potatoes and mix well.

Place tofu vegetable mixture in a well oiled 9" x 13" casserole dish.  Top with mashed potatoes, using a spatula to create a smooth surface.  Score pretty desings on top with a fork.  Bake until slightly golden brown and completely cooked, approximately 25 minutes.  Cool for 10-15 minutes.



Serve with mushroom gravy...

No comments:

Post a Comment