Pages

February 7, 2010

Sources of Inspiration

A friend gave us a copy of a collection of works by Kahil Gibran last year. I have read it often and enjoy the poetry and essays. It's one of those books I can pick up and open just about anywhere and it speaks to how I am feeling or at the least, gives me something inspirational to think about as I begin my day. I have added this to my daily prayer and meditation literature. A favorite emerged very quickly as I read this prose. I am drawn to this piece often.


I understand that all of these are inside every one of us, the pessimist, the optimist, the idealist, the mystic, the philanthropist, the realist, and the purist. But, none of them should be out of balance lest I may lose my way and cause harm mentally, physically, or spiritually to myself and others along my path.

It reminds me of another passage in a book that I use as a guide on my personal journey.

“Creation gave us instincts for a purpose. Without them we wouldn’t be complete human beings. If men and women didn’t exert themselves to be secure in their persons, made no effort to harvest food or construct shelter, there would be no survival. If they didn’t reproduce, the earth wouldn’t be populated. If there were no social instinct, if men cared nothing for the society of one another, there would be no society. So these desires—for sex relation, for material and emotional security, and for companionship—are perfectly necessary and right, and surely God given.”
  
“Yet these instincts, so necessary for our existence, often far exceed their proper functions. Powerfully, blindly, many times subtly, they drive us, dominate us, and insist upon ruling our lives. Our desires for sex, for material and emotional security, and for an important place in society often tyrannize us. When thus out of joint, man’s natural desires cause him great trouble, practically all the trouble there is. No human being, however good, is exempt from these troubles. Nearly every serious emotional problem can be seen as a case of misdirected instinct. When that happens, our great natural assets, the instincts, have turned into physical and mental liabilities.”
Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, pg 42

 
Both of these passages speak to my journey as I progress and live my life as a productive human being who can be an asset to my family, friends, and community. Giving myself over to a power greater than myself, which I call God, asking that my natural instincts stay in balance and don’t reveal themselves as character defects, and asking for the opportunity to help someone else is a daily priority.

I am grateful to be alive! There is a lot of love in my Life!


 
I call this "Rain Forest Garden"

I took this picture on Christmas Day walking through the Olympic Rain Forest.  Some might have thought it sad this tree fell over, but look at all the beautiful new life that began in it's nourishing trunk.




No comments:

Post a Comment