Pages

December 26, 2010

Lemon Pudding Cake - The Process



 
I made this Lemon Pudding Cake from the Vegan Dad's Cookbook again so I could get some pictures of the cake in process.  It's the strangest looking cake I think I've put in the oven. If I had not been experimenting with so many things I would have no confidence that this would come out as pretty and tasty as it did.  This cake looks like dishwater in the cake pan when it's put in the oven.



It's a simple cake and made with few ingredients.  First I started with simple batter: whole wheat pastry flour, sugar, (I used a zero calorie, low glycemic, natural sweetener this time, Erythritol.  Erythritol has not been found to affect blood sugar or insulin levels and has a zero glycemic index.), baking powder, baking soda, a dash of salt, 1/2 cup non dairy milk, 2 TB sunflower oil, 1 TB lemon zest and 1 TB orange zest, and the juice of 1 lemon.


Then I whisked together 1 cup of the Erythritol, use the same quantity as the sugar required, and 1/4 cup flour and sprinkled that evenly on the batter. Then poured 1 cup boiling water mixed with the juice of 2 lemons on top of that.  It looks so strange, like dishwater going into the oven. 



See the layers:


In 40 minutes it looks like cake with a wonderful lemon pudding on the bottom and bubbling up the sides.


It's great warm with homemade coconut milk vanilla ice cream.

2 comments:

  1. I've made somethign like this before, but it was not a vegan version. I'd love to give this a go, but its not easy finding some of those ingredients in the U.K.

    Merry Christmas to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can use all purpose flour and sugar, I prefer sucanot, but I'm curious what you have trouble finding in the UK. I suppose if lemons are not available in the winter, organic bottled lemon juice would work.

    Merry Christmas to you too!

    ReplyDelete