Pages

February 18, 2010

More About Whole Grains

This week my focus has been exercising 30 minutes a day and adding more whole grains to our diet. I have been pretty successful at both this week. I made some nice treats that were whole grain,low in sugar and fat.

   Bob's Red Mill
I made some changes when I made these:
Instead of Oat Bran cereal, I just used rolled oats.
Brown sugar replaced with suganot, (Rapadura)
I used 1 cup Almond milk and 1 tsp lemon juice in place of the yogurt.
I would ordinarily use egg replacer instead of an egg, but I had one left from when we had some guests. Since I get my eggs fresh from a local farm, when I do buy eggs, they last a little longer than from the grocery store.
I omitted the Walnuts.

Even with the guidance of this nutritious recipe, I cut out some of the fat by replacing the yogurt and omitting the walnuts.


 Nutritious Muffins

American Whole Foods Cuisine, Nikki & David Godbeck
This is a great cookbook for transitioning to a more whole foods and vegetarian diet. Used so much, my copy of this cookbook is really messy, I've tried many of these recipes. When I found this book, I purchased so many for gifts, when my friend went online to buy one, they were gone and she had to buy another edition. I might have purchased all that were left in 2006 of this one. There is a rice nut loaf recipe that is a favorite around here. I have gotten compliments for my "meatloaf" from guests that didn't know it was a "non-meatloaf." It even makes a pretty good non-meatloaf sandwich.

I made the Summer Fruit Cobbler and it was pretty good. Made with cornmeal instead of the usual shortening, sugar, flour and milk mixture we traditionally use for cobbler. It has a different texture than traditional cobbler, but just as tasty and just as comforting. I served it with a small scoop, 1 oz., of mango sorbet.

Summer Fruit Cobbler

5 to 6 cups mixed preaches, nectarines, berries, and plums peeled if desired and cut in bite-size pieces. (You can use any fruit you like, I used peaches and blueberries we froze fresh last summer.)
3/4 cup honey (I used raw agave syrup)
1 cup cornmeal
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk (I used almond milk)
1 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp butter (I use vegan margarine made with flax or canola oil)

Preheat oven to 375

Combine fruit with 1/4 cup honey or agave in a shallow 2-quart baking dish or a 9 x 13-inch pan.

Mix cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Stir in milk and let sit a minute or so until batter is thick. Drop by spoonfuls evenly over fruit.

Heat together remaining 1/2 cup honey, lemon juice, and butter just until butter melts. Pour over batter and fruit.

Bake for 30 minutes unitl crust is firm. Cool and serve at room temperature. I ended up baking mine for about 40 minutes because I used a little deeper dish than a flat 9 x 13 baking dish

Serve warm with vegan whipped cream or dairy free ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment