I don't usually count calories, but some of the people I share my goodies with are concerned about that lately, so I estimated these. I calculated them at: 110 calories, 3.9 g fat, 2.6 g fiber, 2.7 g protein, and since they are 100% plant based, zero cholesterol. These can be eaten for dessert or as lunch since they are made from beans, rice, nuts, and fruit. I made little muffins using a one ounce scoop, so they are half the calories and make a handy, healthy, chocolate snack.
Orange Chocolate Bean Cupcakes
Wendy Gabbe Day
1 cup garbanzo bean flour
1 cup brown rice flour
3/4 cup Sucanat (or evaporated cane juice)
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup flax seed meal - (grind flax seeds in a coffee grinder.)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup almonds (or other nuts)
11/2 cup water
1/3 cup orange juice concentrate (I just used a whole orange)
2 TBL orange zest
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Lightly oil a 12-muffin tin.
3. Combine first eight dry ingredients in a bowl.
4. Blend almonds into a coarse flour - (I use a food processor, a blender will work)
5. Core the apples (leave skins on) and blend with the almonds, water, and orange juice until smooth.
6. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ones, sprinkle in the freshly grated orange zest, and mix until just combined.
7. Bake 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. (I used the little muffin tins, the cooking time was about 35 minutes.
I topped them with
Coconut Whipped Creme
Coconut Whipped Creme
14 oz can Unsweetened Coconut Milk (use top firm part only)
1/3 cup Powdered sugar
1/4 cup raw cashews (soaked 4 hours in filtered water), drained well (use this water in your smoothie, it has lots of protein and nutrients from the nuts)
1 tsp Vanilla bean (scrape inside)
1. Place can of coconut milk into refrigerator for 4 hours. Open and remove thick part on top to use in recipe. Reserve rest for other uses.
2. In a blender, blend cashews and coconut to smooth, add powdered sugar. Blend to thick and fluffy.
3. Transfer to small stainless steel bowl, add vanilla, stir.
4. Chill 1 hour minimum or overnight.
5. Use within 2 days.
It's a really rich tasting cream sauce that can be used for all kinds of goodies. This creme sauce can also be created in many different ways, sweet and savory. I have omitted the powdered sugar and vanilla bean and used chipotle chili peppers to use as a sauce for enchiladas, Chipotle creme sauce.
This will add about 22 calories to those muffins for those of you who count your calories.