Pages

August 8, 2010

Dairy Free Chocolate Zucchini Cake


It's that time of year, zucchini will be everywhere soon.  We have four kinds of zucchini ripening in the garden:  golden yellow, black beauty, eight ball zucchini, and the usual small green zucchini's that most of us see all the time.  I've incorporated shredded zucchini in our pot of beans this week, put together a raw lasagna using the zucchini sliced thin as lasagna noodles, and made some chocolate zucchini cake.  I used garbanzo bean flour and no dairy products. This little cake contains whole grains, protein, fresh vegetables and raw agave. It has a rich chocolate taste, you'd never know this was good for you.

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

2/3 cup raw agave
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
Egg replacer for two eggs
     I use one from Bob's Red Mill, it's made with soy flour, wheat gluten, corn, and Algea, a seaweed food.  You can use ground flax seed and water as an egg replacer.  It works great.
1 cup garbanzo bean flour
3/4 cup w/w flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
dash of ground cloves
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 cups finely shredded zucchini
1 teaspoon powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder

In a mixing bowl I sifted the dry ingredients.  In a separate bowl I whisked together the agave, oil, and egg replacer until blended.  I added the wet ingredients to the dry and folded in the zucchini.  The batter is very thick.  I added just a little water, a few drops at a time until the batter was the consistency I wanted.  I poured them into one of my little cake molds, and baked for about 25 minutes.  I mixed 1 teaspoon powdered sugar and 1/4 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder and sifted on top of the cake for a sweet touch.


No comments:

Post a Comment