Pages

September 12, 2010

Cholcolate Chip Cookie Pie - Dairy Free and Whole Grain

From Zennie:

"I make a horribly unhealthy chocolate pie that everyone loves but I am not supposed to eat 90% of what is in it. I have tried to play with it to make it semi healthy but I fail. Think one of you ladies can give it a shot? If it is white or packaged I am not supposed to eat it or limit it greatly.

The pie itself is:

1/2 c flour
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
stick of butter
dash vanilla
two eggs

mix that up and pour it into a pie shell filled with chocolate chips and nuts. If you use less then 3/4 cup of each the pie loses its zing.  We love this but I am actively trying to eat healthier so if you can give it a whack I would appreciate it.

If you look at recipe it is basically just a chocolate chip cookie recipe that I somehow messed up years ago and started baking it in pie form instead."

The above is a request from a poster in a forum I visit.  This is my response.  I had fun taking this recipe and editing the ingredients to whole grain and dairy free.

A chocolate chip cookie recipe gone right, I'd say.  I can imagine how rich this is using the butter and eggs.  At first I thought of a non dairy cheezecake, but I'll do that next time.  I made this as close to what I think you described.  Hope you like it, we sure do.  I omitted the dairy by replacing the butter with coconut oil and used the Bob's Red Mill egg replacer. I used whole grain brown rice flour for the crust and whole spelt flour for the filling. I used 3/4 cup of Sucanat instead of the ½ cup white and ½ brown sugar.  I used wheat sweetened chocolate chips.  They are sweetened with barley malt instead of refined sugars.

I think this is the pie she described.


The crust

Dry Ingredients

2 C Spelt flour or other whole grain flour (I used brown rice flour for this one)
¼ cup Sucanat
1 Tbl Arrowroot powder
1 tsp Baking powder
¼ tsp Cardamom powder
¼ Sea salt, or to taste

Wet Ingredients

1/3 C Safflower oil
2 Tbl Raw agave
2 Tbl Apple juice, fresh (Just put an apple in the blender for fresh juice)
1 tsp Vanilla extract

Place dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl and mix well.  Place wet ingredients in the blender and blend well.  Add wet to dry, mixing well with hands, crumbling the ingredients together.  Press into the bottom of a pie pan, or spring pan. Bake at 350° for about 10 minutes.

The filling


½ cup whole spelt flour
¾ cup sucanat
½ cup coconut oil, melted
1 tsp vanilla
Egg replacer for the equivalent of 2 eggs

Then I roasted 3/4 cup coarse chopped pecans and put them in the bottom of the baked crust.  I added 3/4 cup wheat sweetened chocolate chips. Then I put the filling ingredients in the blender and poured the mixture on the pecans and chocolate chips.  I baked it at 350ยบ for about 35 minutes.  I got a big chewy chocolate chip cookie in a pie pan.

I made it a bit healthier and it may not be what you're looking for, but we sure like it. Thanks for the idea.  I am going to try this same base, the crust, nuts, and chocolate chips with a non dairy cheezecake filling.  I bet that would be really nice too.

No comments:

Post a Comment