Pages

September 26, 2010

Triple Chocolate Vegan Browines


Nana sent me a recipe to try recently.  Triple chocolate brownies made with black beans.  I was instantly intrigued by the use of black beans.  By itself it's a pretty healthy recipe, but I made a few changes, by eliminating the dairy and the animal fat, using date sugar and less of that.  They came out very fudgy. If I want a more cake like brownie, I think I would add a little more flour next time.  This is how I made them this time.

Triple Chocolate Surprise Brownies

Ingredients

    * 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
    * 2  tablespoons sunflower oil
    * 1/2 cup thawed and squeezed dry frozen spinach - I used frozen chard from my garden
    * 1/2 whole apple pureed in the blender
    *  3 TBL egg replacer with 6 TBL water and about half of a mashed banana
    *  1/2 cup date sugar
    * 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
    *  strong coffee, about 1/2 cup
    * 3 ounces chopped bittersweet chocolate
    * 2 tablespoons coconut oil
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 1/2 cup brown rice flour - I think a heartier flour would have been better like whole wheat or spelt and a little more than 1/2 cup
    * 1/3 cup non dairy chocolate chips
    * 1/3 cup chopped pecans
    * 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°. Put black beans, olive oil, spinach, applesauce, eggs, egg yolk, sugar, cocoa, and espresso powder in a food processor; pulse for 1 minute or until smooth. Microwave bittersweet chocolate and butter in a glass bowl, stirring every 30 seconds or until smooth; cool for 5 minutes. Add chocolate, vanilla extract, and salt to processor; pulse to blend. Transfer to a bowl. Stir in flour and mini chocolate chips. Pour into an oiled 9- x 13-inch pan; top with chopped pecans. Bake for 25-30 minutes; cool for 15 minutes.


Thanks Nana, these are very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment