Pages

July 5, 2010

Dairy Free Cherry Upsidedown Cake

This came out pretty nice looking. I used the white Rainier Cherries. I can't believe it came out of the pan so well. The little specs you see on top are pieces of ground cardamom. I keep whole cardamom seeds on hand and grind them myself.


Cherry mixture

3 cups fresh cherries, pitted and split in half
zest of an orange, chopped
1 tsp sucanot
sprinkling of cardamom, about a half teaspoon. You can use nutmeg, cinnamon and a very small dash of cloves if you don't have cardamom.

Cake Mixture


1 cup non dairy margarine, softened
1/2 cup Agave
2 drops liquid stevia
Egg substitute, equivalent of 2 eggs
     I use an egg substitute from Bob's Red Mill.  1 tablespoon ground flaxseed dissolved with 3  tablespoons water also works as a substitution for two eggs.
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla
about ¼ cup non dairy milk to get a smooth consistency

Preheat oven to 350ยบ

Prepare a 8" x 11.5" baking dish with some oil, I use coconut oil.
Mix cherry mixture ingredients together and spread on the bottom of the pan.
Beat cake mixture ingredients together until smooth and spread over cherry mixture.
Bake about 30 minutes or until toothpicks inserted into cake come out clean.
Allow to cool, turn out onto serving dish.



I served it with some of the cashew coconut creme.

My husband said it seemed like a cross between a crisp and pie. He mentioned that during his second piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment