Pages

July 11, 2010

Vegan Pineapple-Carrot Cake with Vanilla Frosting

This recipe is definitely "under construction."  It's another test recipe, but I wanted to make it my way, fresh, vegan, and with as little added sugar as possible.  The recipe called for roasting the carrots before making the cake and I kind of thought that was weird to cook the carrots before cooking.  I made a raw carrot puree in the food processor instead of roasting them.  I also used 2 teaspoons of liquid Stevia instead of the 2 cups of sugar called for in the recipe.  That's where the "under construction" part comes in.  In my efforts to make up for the liquids by replacing the sugar with Stevia, I added more crushed pineapple and a banana.  I think I overdid the extra liquids a bit.  It doesn't have a cake like texture, it's more like a dense cake with a pumpkin pie kind of texture.  It is very, very tasty though, my husband likes it a lot.  I think the recipe called for a little too much oil too.  It also called for walnuts, but I used some pecans I brought home from Alabama this last April.  I did make the vanilla creme cheese frosting as directed with organic powdered sugar, but I made a cream cheeze with tofu instead of using dairy creme cheese. I will try this another time soon and post the recipe when I am sure someone else can make it without any problems.  I served it with a fresh Washington apricot.

Pineapple-Carrot Cake with Vanilla Frosting

No comments:

Post a Comment