Pages

February 5, 2011

Dairy Free Dark Cherry Almond Fudge Ice Cream


Had some fun with the ice cream maker. I made a dairy free vanilla ice cream mixture with dark sweet cherries, roasted almonds, and fudge.

I thawed a quart of dark sweet cherries I froze while in season, roasted and chopped some almonds, and made a fudge sauce with agave and organic cocoa. I drained the cherries when thawed and added the cherry juice to the ice cream mixture. When the ice cream was just about frozen, I added the cherries and the roasted almonds. Just before I put it in the freezer I folded in the fudge sauce.

Dairy Free Vanilla Ice Cream

Begin by making a substitute for condensed milk.

Condensed Milk Substitute

1/3 cup thick coconut milk (The cream at the top of the can)
1/3 cup maple syrup or agave
1 TB melted coconut butter

Whip all above ingredients together and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.

Vanilla base for ice cream

3 TB egg replacer
9 TB filtered water
3/4 cup sucanat
Remaining can of coconut milk from condensed milk substitute
Condensed milk substitute (above)
1 pint coconut milk coffee creamer
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 1/2 TB vanilla extract or the seeds from a whole vanilla bean.

In a large mixing bowl whisk 3 TB egg replacer with 9 TB filtered water until thoroughly mixed and fluffy. Add the condensed milk substitute. Add 3/4 cup sucanat (or brown sugar) and again mix thoroughly. Add the rest of the can of coconut milk and 1 pint of coconut creamer, 1/2 tsp sea salt and the vanilla. Chill mixture for about four hours before freezing according to the directions for your ice cream freezer.

Sweet Dark Cherries

2 comments:

  1. That looks amazing, even if it is 25° outside! I'll bet it's wonderful made with So Delicious French Vanilla coconut milk creamer. I'm definitely going to have to try it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I edited this recipe. I copied in from an old one, but I omitted the coconut oil in the base. I only used it in the evaporated milk substitute.

    ReplyDelete