Pages

March 14, 2010

Flexitarian: Seafood/Mullosc chowder

Went to the beach this weekend and took an empty cooler in search of fresh seafood. Found some! I made what I am calling Mullosc chowder with fresh clams, oysters, and smoked mussels. I just did my weekly shopping at the produce stand yesterday so I had plenty of vegetables to play with too.

Mullosc Chowder
1 red onion, small dice
3 shallots diced
3-4 small cloves garlic
4 stalks celery, diced
3 small carrots grated
1 red bell pepper diced small
1 leek, quartered and sliced
1/2 fennel bulb diced (Use some of the fresh leaves for garnish)
1/2 lb, 1/2 bunch asparagus spears, bias cut

2 TB coconut oil
1 TB dried dill
1 TB Savory
Sea salt to taste
dash of cayenne pepper
2 TB chopped fresh parsley
2-3 cups low sodium vegetable broth

2 doz little neck clams steamed, coarse chop
1 doz small oysters, coarse chop
1/2 doz smoked mussels

5-6 red potatoes, diced

I sauteed the onions, leeks, and shallots in the coconut oil, adding the salt and herbs as they cook. When they were tender I added the celery, fennel, and garlic. After a few minutes I added the chopped red pepper and grated onion. I covered the vegetable mixture with 2 cups vegetable broth and 2-3 cups water. To this I added the clams, oysters, and mussels and brought to just a boil then simmered for about 30 minutes.

I thickened the soup similar to the way Morgaine did the other day in her soup. The diced potatoes were cooked in a separate saucepan just covered in 1 cup vegetable broth and water. When the potatoes were tender, but still firm, I took them out of the water and set aside.

When the water and potatoes cooled a bit, I put some of them in a blender with the water they cooked in until it was creamy mixture. I poured this mixture into the soup pot and added the rest of the cooked diced potatoes. I had some nice slender baby asparagus, I thought would be nice to add so I put that in last as it doesn't take too long to cook. I let this all simmer for about 20 minutes. I added the chopped parsley at the end.

This is a nice creamy, seafood chowder,without adding any cream. My husband just said, "Man this is good" and finished the model in this photo before I was finished typing this.

We caught the sunrise this morning too. The whole day was this good!

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 comment: