Pages

March 28, 2010

Forbidden Rice Salad, Vegan Mac & Cheez

This is a creation of Morgaine's Kitchen Witchery. She was enjoying her lunch and thought I'd like to try making it too. Not unusual for people to email me about their lunch. My friends know what a foodie I am.

This is a great meal, high in iron and whole grains. The black rice contains more vitamin B, niacin, vitamin E, calcium, magnesium, iron, and zinc than white rice. When she gave me the recipe she told me what she added, but didn't remember the measurements. That's OK, I understand 'some of.' Here's how I did it.

Forbidden Rice Salad

1/2 cup Forbidden Rice
1/2 cup Bhutanese Red Rice
3/4 cup low sodium vegetable broth

Cook as directed on rice package or just as you cook rice, bring it to a boil, lower the heat to low, cover and simmer about 25 minutes. Fluff with a fork and cool slightly.

1/2 medium to large pineapple cut into small chunks
1 small bunch green onions sliced
1 tsp chopped garlic
1 medium diced red pepper
1 Serrano pepper, seeds removed, diced

Fresh chopped herbs:
If you need to measure, I would say I used about a Tablespoon of each of these:

thyme
sage
basil
parley
cilantro

Toss all the ingredients into the fluffy rice with a little flax oil and a tablespoon of Agavi.

This is going to work with me for lunch tomorrow. It's a whole meal in one bowl and  loaded with great flavors. My husband said "It's an adventure in one mouthful." Thanks for sharing Morgaine.
 
It was rainy today and I wanted something warm. I made some Vegan macaroni and Cheez. It's warm and creamy and dairy free.
 
Vegan Macaroni and Cheez

This was a great rainy day comfort meal. I say was as it was gone after the pictures were taken. I guess that's a sign it was good. If I want to serve this for more than two people, I had better double this recipe.

1 1/2 cup Elbow noodles, wheat free (3 c cooked) I used shells this time.

Vegan Cheez Sauce


1 1/2 cup Soy, rice, almond, or oat milk.
2 TBL rolled oats
2 TBL Tahini
2 TBL Nutritional yeast
2 tsp Shoyu, or to taste
3/4 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp Garlic, minced
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste

1. Prepare the pasta to al dente.

2. While pasta is cooking, prepare the Vegan Cheez Sauce by placing remaining ingredients in a blender and blending until smooth. Pour into a large saucepan and heat over low heat until sauce thickens, stirring frequently, approximately 5 minutes. Add to cooked pasta and mix well.

Place in well oiled casserole dish, top with bread crumbs and broil for about 6-7 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment