Pages

March 7, 2010

Spring is for Gardening

What a great spring weekend! The sun is shining and warm. We haven't had that combination in awhile. I happily threw the jacket I wore yesterday into the backseat of the car and embraced the sun. I got some good exercise yesterday. I made my rounds to the produce markets, the health food store, and did some cooking for the week ahead, details to come later.  

Today we are going to take advantage of this wonderful weather and plant the onion and garlic starts in our garden plot. They're ready to go outside and it's OK to put onions out now. We will have some more cold weather, but they can survive all right. I'm looking forward to getting on my knees in the dirt and mud today.
Garlic on top, Onions in the bottom photo
 We have some new seedlings starting, the beefsteak tomatoes didn't waste any time reaching for the sun. We have some peas showing up. There are some fennel babies sticking their very delicate slender first leaves out. And, of course the Mammoth and Aromatto basil is growing. Basil is the fastest seed to germinate and sprout I have seen so far. I am having a bit of trouble with peppers. They seem to reach up, get their second set of leaves started and then fall over. I think maybe I had the lights too far away so they were too frail for the new, heavier leaves. That's going to happen though, I am new at this. Not everything is going to work the first time. Hmm, sounds like life. I did realize this project is not only providing me with much joy and love, but I am learning a bit of patience too. I do get a little disappointed when I notice that they just don't need my help some days.
 
Sugar Snap Pea

So, off for some natural vitamin D and some loving moments in our garden. Happy Days!

One Vast Garden

"I find one vast garden spread out all over the universe.
All plants, all human beings, all higher mind bodies
are about in this garden in various ways ,
each has his own uniqueness and beauty.
Their presence and variety give me great delight.
Every one of you adds with his special feature to the glory of the garden."

No comments:

Post a Comment