Pages

March 3, 2010

Friends, Gifts, & Messages

It could have been a rough week for me. It was my youngest son's birthday yesterday, we wished him a happy birthday on Sunday, as happy as it could be in prison. He began this adventure around his birthday last year. So it's been a whole year of, well, a different type of education for us all. We are learning to laugh a little together through this. It will be over someday. It does help that we can visit in person. Heck, we're spending one on one family time. OK, it's under armed guard, we are spending some time together.

I got through his birthday rather well, without a conscious emotional roller coaster. A couple of times sad thoughts drifted through my heart, but I didn't let it ruin my day. I even got to speak to him, he had been moved to another facility and called to let us know. I had my fears about how I would handle this emotionally, but I was reminded of my husband and friends and the love I have all around me. There have been quite a few special gifts come my way this week.

It's a busy week at work and there are too many numbers flying to pay attention to the noise in my brain. I think that helps tremendously. I really like this part of the month except for that I move so fast, it's hard to completely absorb all I am doing right away. I had one of those days today. The numbers were flying and it seemed there was an issue in every department. I felt like my brain was changing channels a little too fast today and by the afternoon, I knew it for sure. I went home a little discouraged and cranky with myself. I did, however, have an urge to go right home and exercise. I was surprised at those thoughts, that's a nice change. Our little Olympic Gold challenge at work has given me the motivation to get started. Maybe feeling like I'm on a team and not doing this alone helps. Who knows, somethings working. I am actually looking forward to a work out. Hope I keep it up. I got forty minutes in and what do you know, my attitude brightened pretty quickly. Maybe I can do another twenty before bed.

When I did get home today, I found a "message from home" on my porch. It was a bright message, put a smile in my heart. I had ordered some fresh organic, hand crafted goat cheese from my friend's farm in Pescadero. It came today with a very fun return address as well as the goodies inside. I shared this cheese with a friend that likes to play with her food as much as I do. I can't wait to see what she does with it.


I got to thinking something might be wrong with a friend or there may be news in Pescadero because it's been on my mind a lot lately. I planted a few artichokes this last month. I don't see them grow much here and where we lived in Pescadero artichokes were seen for miles along the coast. Another wonderful gift I received this week were a couple nice crabs. My first thought was to make Cioppino. Cioppino is the meal you have on your birthday in Pescadero or other important family affair. That's where I learned to create it. I got to wondering why Pescadero was on my mind so much.

After exercising, meditating a little, and creating a new salad with my husband my mind cleared a little, I think I may have sorted it out. I worked in Pescadero at Duarte's with Dee and her then, future family, when Marty was born twenty three years ago. I guess I am thinking about his birthday, just not the way I thought I would. Instead of worrying about him, I am having fond memories of us when he was born. Life is Good
 
Large round: Fresh goat cheese with edible flowers and sunflower seeds. 
Small round: with cranberries and walnuts

I will get back to you about what I do with it, soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment