Pages

March 19, 2010

Gardening is cheaper than therapy

I had a gloomy feeling yesterday. I don't know if the first week of daylight savings time has caught up with me or maybe I am just tired. Work is going well, but it is a big meeting week. Lots of time in and out of the office so I feel a little scattered at times. I've been learning more about the issues of our country, the healthcare reform issues mostly this week. In an effort to engage in some of the things my husband is interested, I became interested. Each article I read or fact I learn leads to another and becomes a labyrinth of reading material and I get deeper and deeper involved. There are some scary things going on in our country and I need to do more to understand how I can help make a difference. Yesterday I just had to back away from it as I was getting this increasingly heavy feeling in my heart. It was a overwhelming feeling of doom, fear, and anguish. Guess what? Just a short time in the garden and the doom and gloom had melted away.

The sun was shining and the air was warm yesterday. When Scott got home from work I suggested we go out to the garden plot to assess what work we want to do this weekend. The weather is supposed to be nice, in the 70's today and tomorrow. I am hoping to get the onions, garlic, and peas in the ground. We spent an hour and a half in the garden pulling up the tired plants from the winter and pulling some weeds around the plants that made it through. So, the gardening adventures begin. There's lots of work to be done, but some of my garden babies will get a new home this weekend. I am so looking forward to being out there.

I also kind of made a friend. A little frog sat in his burrow and let me pull the weeds around him in the leeks. He might not have appreciated me there, but he didn't go anywhere. He just sat there and let me work around him. I almost hurt him as I first noticed him in my hand when I pulled up some weeds. I set him down and he just hunkered down in a little hole and watched me work.

We had some winter survivors. Many of the spinach plants are alive and hearty. There are green onions, leeks, kohlrabi, and celery that made it through the winter just fine. The kohlrabi was big and beautiful, but the bulbs were pretty woody. I gave away some leeks and onions to a little boy about four years old who's family will have a garden plot as well this year. This is their first year in the community garden and they looked about as excited as we were to play in the dirt and watch the gardens grow. He got some vegetables his first day out there. That was pretty fun.



First sunset in the garden this year. Looking forward to lots more.

~~~~~~~~~~~

1 comment:

  1. Wouldn't you know it? All the silliness of men can't beat 10 minutes in Nature.... ;-)

    ReplyDelete