Pages

March 24, 2010

Garden 2010 - Time to weed and plant.

The sun shone again today, I'm waiting for Scott to get home so we can go do some weeding and planting. Yesterday we spent some time finding the dirt, weeding and turning. May not look like much, but we have some spots to plant now. While working out there I thought, "Now, why aren't we letting them till our portion? Oh, yeah, they'd mow over our plants already growing." I really don't mind the work, it is very pleasant and peaceful out there. It just seems like we have such a long way to go. But, the weather has been pretty mild and some things can be planted as we weed. It's a very nice way to spend the evening together.

Path weeded near the onions and leeks
 The peas seem to have taken hold
It was kind of rainy and windy right after we planted them, I was a little worried. But looks like they are happy.

I am bringing some lettuce seeds out with me today, they can handle the weather. I have some salad green seeds called Mascara lettuce and Amaranth Greens. They're pretty and probably a nice addition to our summer salads.

I did get kind of lucky today, the electricity went out at work about 40 minutes before my usual quitting time. I went right home and spent some time in the basement nursery. I set some broccoli, cauliflower, and two types of eggplant to germinate. I transplanted all the sage and the rest of the basil into separate containers. I was thinking the plants would outgrow the room I have in the basement for them. But, the rotation is going along nicely. What I don't plant, my friends are happy to take and plant in their own gardens. I love this, giving food away already.

No comments:

Post a Comment