Pages

April 11, 2010

Black Bean Enchiladas with Chipotle Cashew Creme

I made a pot of black beans this morning for the week. I don't cook my beans until they are completely soft. I like them a little textured and chewable. They can also withstand being cooked in another recipe without getting mushy. I made them pretty simply, adding: onions, celery, shallots, a sliced jalepeño, cumin, garlic, salt, pepper, cayenne, a small can of fire roasted diced tomatoes, and cooked them in low sodium vegetable broth.


Black Bean Enchiladas

I used the black beans and sliced olives for the filling. I also shredded some nut-cheese made from Almonds flavored like Monterey Pepper Jack. I mixed half of the cheese with the beans and olives and saved the other half for the topping.

I filled Corn tortillas and used canned enchilada sauce, 1 large can. Yes, sometimes even I use a can. The brand I found has only a few ingredients, and chilies, tomatoes, and onions are first in the list. I will be making my own again in the summer. I warmed the tortillas a little so they are pliable and poured a little sauce in the bottom of a 9" x 13" baking pan. I put a little sauce on a dinner plate and dip each side of the tortilla in the sauce. Then I put a couple tablespoons of the bean mixture in the center and wrap. Placing them in the baking dish with the seam side down, I fit in 13 of them. I covered them with the remainder of the enchilada sauce, the shredded nut-cheese, and some cilantro.

I baked it in the oven on 400º for about 25-30 minutes until the sauce was bubbling and the tortillas were looking a little crispy. The almond cheese melted and browned very nicely too.
Black Bean Enchiladas with Cashew Chipotle Cream
 I served them with avocado slices and Chipotle Cashew Cream. The cashew cream is very easy.

Soak two cups of raw cashews in one cup of water for a couple hours in the refrigerator. Put the soaked cashews, undrained, in the food processor with one chipotle chili in adobo sauce. If you are daring use two chilies. Add one to two teaspoons chopped garlic and blend until smooth and creamy.

I transferred the blended cashew mixture into a bowl and mixed in half of a red bell pepper, diced, some diced green onion, and a handful of cilantro minced. I also stirred in a Tsp of Shoyu, a little sea salt, ground pepper and a dash of cayenne.

These are so satisfying, I wanted another helping, but knew I couldn't fit it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment