Egg Plant-Walnut Paté (I use Pecans)
1 large eggplant
1 cup walnut or pecan pieces
2 tsp fresh ginger root, peeled, grated, and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped or crushed
1 TB extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp ground allspice
salt and pepper to taste
dash of hot pepper sauce to taste (I have used red pepper flakes, about 1/8 tsp.)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pierce the eggplant with a fork in several places and bake until very soft, about 45 minutes.
2. While eggplant is baking, grind the nuts in a food processor until very fine, and set aside.
3. Remove the eggplant from oven, slash to let steam escape, drain off any liquid and scrape the pulp into a food processor with the ginger, garlic, and olive oil. Process until smooth.
4. Add ground nuts and process until smooth.
5. Flavor the mixture with the allspice, salt, and drops of hot pepper sauce to taste. Chill.
Eggplant Pecan Paté