Pages

April 4, 2010

Maple Oat Brittle, Rhubarb Sauce

I've prepared these dishes for dinner & lunches this week:

Polenta Vegetable Bake,
Black Rice salad with collard greens,
A large pot of beans are ready and made with the 13 bean mixture, some tomatoes, onions, celery, and one jalapeno,
Homemade foccacia bread stuffed with Caponata sauce,
Eggplant Pate, and
a large pot of chunky rhubarb sauce to use in smoothies, in something special this week, or just to eat with a spoon. It has an applesauce consistency.

Rhubarb sauce:

1 lb rhubarb sliced in 1 inch chunks
1/3 cup Agave Syrup or Sucanot
one orange

Place rhubarb in large pot, add the Agave and squeeze in the orange juice from a whole orange. I also break up the orange pulp and throw it in. Cover and simmer a few minutes. When it starts to bubble give it a stir and simmer a couple minutes more until it's a thick compote. Don't cook it down too long or the rhubarb will become sauce. I like some chunky rhubarb in my sauce.

I also made the dairy free strawberry ice cream yesterday which I thawed a bit today and mixed in some of the rhubarb sauce. Now we have strawberry rhubarb ice cream.

I'll make a large vegetable salad tomorrow. The fridge is pretty full right now. But, I don't have to cook all week after work and the healthy stuff is handy.

I thought I was finished with the cooking, then I opened my email. There was a nice, quick recipe in the  NW Veg newsletter for Maple Peanut Oat Brittle. I thought, "this won't take very long, I'll throw it together." So, I did. I modified it with the ingredients I had on hand. I used some peanuts with the almonds, I threw in about a half a cup of unsweetened shredded coconut. I didn't have any maple syrup and my brown rice syrup has crystalized so I just used 1/2 cup Agave syrup. These are whole grain, but still kind of naughty. I probably should have used a bit more Agave as they didn't stick together very well, it's kind of crumbly. Guess we have some pretty tasty granola.


Ok, that's it, no more cooking. I'm off. 
Happy Days

No comments:

Post a Comment