Pages

May 30, 2010

Buckwheat Teff Pancakes - Vegan Sunday Brunch

While browsing through my Vegan World Fusion Cuisine cookbook yesterday looking for a fun way to use my beets, I noticed a recipe for buckwheat pancakes.   I love buckwheat pancakes, I have since I was small.   They have much more body and flavor than the traditional white flour pancakes.  Of course they do, whole grains have more texture and flavor than over-processed white flour.  I didn't have quite enough buckwheat, but I did have some teff.  I ground some teff and used half a cup of buckwheat and half a cup of teff instead of 1 cup buckwheat.   I didn't have any applesauce, as called for in the recipe, so I just threw a small apple in the blender.  I served them with a drizzle of pure maple syrup and fresh fruit salad made with papaya, kiwi, plum, avocado, and lime juice.

Buckwheat Teff Pancakes with Fresh Fruit


Benevolent Buckwheat Pancakes
Vegan World Fusion Cuisine, page 182

Dry
1 C Buckwheat flour
1 C Spelt flour
3 TB Sucanat
1 TB Flax seed, ground
1 TB Baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp Sea salt

Wet
1 ¼ C Filtered water
¾ C non dairy milk (soy, oat, almond, hemp, rice)
2 TB Sunflower oil
2 TB Apple sauce, unsweetened (chopped fresh apple will work just fine)
Pinch Cinnamon Powder

Place Wet ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix well. I used the blender as I used a whole apple. Combine the Dry ingredients in another bowl and mix well.  Combine all ingredients in one bowl.  Grill as you do any pancakes on a lightly greased grill. Flip over as the bubbles form and pop, about 3 minutes on each side.

Serve with warm fruit, jam, almond butter, or whatever you like on your pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment