Pages

May 6, 2010

Thursday and Asparagus Ginger Soup

Thursday we are usually finished with everything I have prepared over the weekend. We are down to our last serving of beans, which I took for lunch, and the salad didn't last that long. I am pretty surprised how many beans we ate this week. I made three different bean dishes and two different salads.

I started making our raw vegetable salad and pulled out all the vegetables in the fridge to make sure I am not missing anything.  It's not very pleasant to find something nice like a fennel bulb or a bag of greens that are very tired and aren't usable anymore.  While rooting through my vegetables I noticed I have a lot of Asparagus for some reason. There has been a lot available lately, it's in season in some parts of Washington. I must have gotten some at the farmer's market and then thought they had a great price at the produce store. I found about four pounds of it in the fridge.  I better do something with it or it will go bad. Must be a good day for asparagus soup.

I chopped an onion and took out some chopped celery, some carrots, and red peppers that I had put in the salad. I sauteed them in a little coconut and ginger oil, added the asparagus and some garlic, sea salt and fresh ground pepper. I threw in a little ground allspice too just because I had some already ground. Then I added a little coconut milk I had left over, about 3/4 of a cup and an equal amount of filtered water. I let that simmer a bit then added a quart of some pre-made organic cashew, carrot, ginger soup. It was a bit thin so I cut up a head of cauliflower and a couple carrots and threw them in the pot. I let that simmer for about forty minutes and then added some chopped parsley and a hand full of dried cranberries.  Asparagus soup became asparagus, cauliflower, carrot, ginger soup.

Asparagus, Cauliflower, Carrot, Ginger Soup


And the salad:   Sorrel, Red Leaf lettuce, carrots, red pepper, yellow peppers, chopped celery & fennel, cucumber, red cabbage, lambs quarters, diced Roma tomato, avocado, fresh squeezed orange juice, sunflower seeds, and some golden balsamic vinegar.

No comments:

Post a Comment