Pages

May 24, 2010

Rotini with Edamame & Greens

Springtime Penne becomes Springtime Rotini with Edamame & Greens

This kind of a healthier version of Alfredo. I really re-worked the original recipe that was sent to me. I didn't have a lot of the ingredients, but I did have good substitutions. I used Rotini pasta instead of Penne, frozen edamame beans instead of peas, and a variety of greens I had in the freezer from last year's garden instead of spinach: chopped beet greens, collard greens, kale, mustard greens, and some carrot tops. The recipe also called for 1/4 cup heavy cream. I used the cream from the top of a can of chilled coconut milk instead of dairy cream. It also called for a couple tablespoons of butter at the end of the cooking and I just left that out. The only other seasonings I used were sea salt and freshly ground pepper.

I sauteed garlic in some olive oil and then added two cups of organic vegetable stock (low sodium). Brought the stock to a boil then added the beans, greens, and coconut cream. I just simmered this over a high heat for a bit until the sauce thickened and all the greens were wilted. I removed it from the heat and added about a half cup of freshly grated Parmesan cheese to the mixture. This is a vegetarian dish, but made the way I made it without the Parmesan cheese, it would be considered vegan.

No comments:

Post a Comment